Our school motto is “Maximising Opportunities & Extending Potential”.
Our aim for each student who enrols with us is that they become the best that they can be and have their chance to shine - in their own eyes and those of their families and the world in which they live.
As soon as your child comes to school you enter into a partnership with our teachers for the best guidance and education of your child - developing him/her as a person intellectually, socially, physically and emotionally.
The first year at school is a big step forward for your child and it is vital that a harmonious relationship is fostered between the child, school and home. To enhance this harmonious relationship, we hope that you will visit the school frequently, whether it be as an interested parent, a classroom helper or to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns which you may have.
We would all like to work as one large family - a team effort, where we will share the responsibility with you, developing your child to the best of his/her ability.
May your family’s time here at Silvan be very fulfilling and happy.
An experienced, enthusiastic and caring staff and administration
• Small multi-aged classes
• Individual student attention in order to meet individual needs
• A community committed to children’s wellbeing
• Strong values based school practices
• Progressive, sequential curriculum development practices
• A computer ratio of 1 computer per student
• A Computer Laboratory which includes desktops, laptops and iPads
• Excellent academic record in the Early Years and NAPLAN Testing
• Specialist Programs in Performing Arts, Art, Health & Physical Education, Cooking, LOTE (German) & Sustainability
• Weekly Specialist Library lessons by MARC Team
• A vital and active School Council
• Beautiful rural surroundings
• An active transition program with local Secondary Colleges
• Sequential transition program for new Preps
• Parent Surveys to help us to evaluate our performance
• Sporting Schools Program
• Yearly camps and regular excursions and incursions
• Athletics, cross country, swimming, basketball, archery and orienteering programs
• Member of Upper Yarra Valley Sports Association
• Specialist Arts Centre
• Electronic whiteboards in each classroom
• Accessible Library
• Differentiated Curriculum
... and much, much more. Discover the difference at Silvan for yourself.
Our facilities consist of one main wing, which includes:
- three classrooms
- an artroom
- an interview room
- and the administration centre
Our Learning Centre incorporates a:
- computer lab
- German room
- additional classrooms and
- large multi-purpose area
The old school house was extensively renovated and upgraded in 2012 to become our new Homecrafts Centre, providing:
- kitchen and
- restaurant seating
to further broaden the range of opportunities for our students in cooking and home economics.
Outdoor facilities include:
- an oval
- two basketball/netball courts
- extensive asphalting
- several adventure playground areas and
- well maintained gardens
- with excellent shade areas